Terms of Service for International Platforms
- ADDITIONAL TERMS.All use of the Solution and ATG Content is subject to this Agreement and any additional terms agreed to by the parties in connection with the Solution and ATG Content, including, without limitation, any prohibitions on distribution of the ATG Content to students or third parties. Subscriber is responsible for its End Users’ use of the Solution and the ATG Content.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES.ATG may enhance and/or expand the features of the Solution from time to time at no additional cost to Subscriber, or may provide additional content, performance or features that may, but are not required to, be added by Subscriber at additional cost to Subscriber. Any professional services to be provided by ATG to Subscriber in connection with the Solution shall be set forth in a separate Professional Services Agreement between ATG and Subscriber.
- APPLICABLE PRIVACY LAW.Subscriber is familiar with and agrees to be responsible for compliance with its country and state laws, rules or regulations concerning the collection, use, and disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information about End Users accessing the Services that are the subject of this Agreement (collectively, “Applicable Privacy Law”). “Personally Identifiable Information”, or “PII”, shall mean any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (a “data subject”) including personal data as defined under applicable local law. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person. ATG acknowledges that in the course of Subscriber’s use of the Services, End Users’ Personally Identifiable Information may be disclosed to ATG. ATG agrees that it will comply with the requirements of Applicable Privacy Law concerning the confidentiality and release of Personally Identifiable Information. Per such requirements, ATG agrees that under Applicable Privacy Law, officers, employees, and agents of ATG who access Personally Identifiable Information may use such data only for the purposes for which such data has been made available to ATG. ATG and its contractors, suppliers and licensors shall only use Personally Identifiable Information for the purpose of facilitating the performance, delivery or use of the Services. ATG shall enable Subscriber to maintain compliance with Applicable Privacy Law in connection with Subscriber’s use of the Solution. For further information about ATG’s data privacy and security practices, please read our Privacy Notice.
- SUBSCRIBER DATA.All information concerning Subscriber (“Subscriber Data”) and Personally Identifiable Information concerning End Users shall belong to Subscriber and shall be considered Confidential Information of Subscriber subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Subscriber assumes sole responsibility for: (a) providing any notices and obtaining any consent needed to the extent required under Applicable Privacy Law in connection with the collection, use and/or disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information from End Users; (b) providing a reasonable means for End Users or End Users’ parents, as applicable, to review Personally Identifiable Information provided by End Users to the extent required by Applicable Privacy Law; and (c) establishing and maintaining reasonable procedures to protect the confidentiality, security, and integrity of the Personally Identifiable Information.
- ATG USE OF SUBSCRIBER DATA.As a service provider to Subscriber, ATG will establish and maintain reasonable procedures in accordance with its policies and practices and Applicable Privacy Law to protect the confidentiality, security, and integrity of Personally Identifiable Information and Subscriber Data received by ATG in connection with provision of the Solution to Subscriber. Subscriber acknowledges and agrees that ATG has the right to use the Personally Identifiable Information and Subscriber Data collected in connection with provision of the Solution for (a) purposes of performing its obligations under this Agreement, and (b) for research purposes in connection with quality control and the development of revised or new products or services (“Research Purposes”), provided that such Personally Identifiable Information and Subscriber Data will be used by ATG for Research Purposes only in the aggregate and so that the privacy of the individual’s Personally Identifiable Information will be maintained.
- LOCATION OF SERVICES.ATG is a global organization headquartered in the United Kingdom. Depending on Subscriber’s location and the product or service, Subscriber Data may be stored and processed by a ATG affiliate within secure data centers in the United Kingdom, where United Kingdom law applies. If Subscriber Data is stored in Subscriber’s jurisdiction, then local laws prevail. We own, control and operate the Solution from our offices in the United Kingdom. Subscribers who access the Solution from outside the United Kingdom are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable.
- OWNERSHIP.No intellectual property rights of any kind are assigned or transferred to Subscriber under this Agreement. Subscriber is permitted to access and use the Solution, ATG Content and any other materials provided hereunder only as expressly set forth in these Terms of Service. Subscriber is not permitted and shall have no right to use the Solution or ATG Content for any purpose other than as set forth herein. Subscriber shall not challenge, or assist any person or entity in challenging, ATG’s right, title, and interest in the Solution and ATG Content.
- Before using any content or materials in the Solution or ATG Content designated as “open”, OER, or available for public use, you should review the governing licensing restrictions associated with such content or materials. No rights of any kind are granted by ATG to use such content or materials outside of the Solution.
- If the Solution permits you to upload third-party content for use with your use of the Services granted herein, you represent and warrant that prior to performing any such upload you will secure all necessary rights to grant and will grant ATG the right to make such third-party content available to End Users in the same manner and to the same extent as the ATG Content provided in the Solution, and that such third-party content will not infringe any intellectual, proprietary or other rights of third parties. Additional terms and options may be presented through the user upload interface available on the Solution which shall be in addition to, and not in lieu of, these Terms of Service.
- RESTRICTIONS ON USE.Subscriber shall not, and shall cause its employees, officers, directors, members, managers, partners, agents, third party service providers, or other designated persons (its “Representatives”) not to, take any of the following actions: (a) creating or enabling the creation of derivative works, modifications, or adaptations of the Solution or ATG; (b) decompiling, reverse engineering or disassembling the Solution or ATG Content, (c) distributing or disclosing the Solution or ATG Content to third parties; (d) removing or modifying any proprietary marking or restrictive legends placed on the Solution or ATG Content; or (e) using any robot, spider, other automatic device or program or manual process to monitor, copy or reproduce the Solution or ATG Content.
- TERM AND TERMINATION.This Agreement shall remain in full force and effect unless and until terminated earlier as provided in these Terms of Service. In the event that Subscriber commits a material breach of this Agreement (other than breach of its payment obligations, for which ATG may terminate this Agreement immediately), ATG may terminate this Agreement on five (5) business days’ prior written notice to Subscriber; provided that Subscriber fails to cure such breach within such five (5) business day period. Subscriber may terminate this Agreement by (a) providing ATG with no less than thirty (30) days’ prior written notice or (b) ceasing all access to the Solution for six (6) months or longer. No sooner than one (1) year after Subscriber accepts these Terms of Service, ATG may terminate this Agreement on at least sixty (60) days prior written notice.
- EFFECT OF TERMINATION OR EXPIRATION.Subscriber’s permission to use the Solution and ATG Content shall end immediately upon any termination or expiration of this Agreement, and Subscriber shall immediately cease any use of the Solution or ATG Content upon such termination. The following provisions shall survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement: Section 8 (“Ownership”), Section 9 (“Restrictions on Use”), this Section 11 (“Effect of Termination or Expiration”), Section 12 (“Confidentiality”), Section 13 (“Representations and Warranties; Disclaimer”), Section 14 (“Liability”), 15 (“Indemnification”) and Section 16 (“Miscellaneous”).
- CONFIDENTIALITY.The parties acknowledge and agree that, as a result of negotiating, entering into and performing this Agreement, each party (the “Receiving Party”) has and will have access to certain confidential information (“Confidential Information”) of the other party (the “Disclosing Party”). Personally Identifiable Information of End Users is considered Confidential Information of Subscriber. At all times the Receiving Party shall: (i) use the same standard of care to protect the Confidential Information as it uses to protect its own confidential information of a similar nature, but not less than a commercially reasonable standard of care, (ii) not use the Disclosing Party’s Confidential Information other than as necessary to perform its obligations under this Agreement, (iii) not disclose, distribute, or disseminate the Confidential Information to any third party (except to Representatives, as expressly permitted below), and (iv) only disclose the Disclosing Party’s Confidential Information to its Representatives on a “need to know” basis; provided that each Representative is bound by confidentiality obligations at least as restrictive as those contained in this Agreement.
- REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES; DISCLAIMER.Each party represents and warrants that this Agreement constitutes its valid and binding obligation and is enforceable against it in accordance with its terms. ATG DOES NOT WARRANT THE COMPLETENESS, ADEQUACY, ACCURACY, OR USEFULNESS OF THE SOLUTION, THE ATG CONTENT OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS PROVIDED HEREUNDER (COLLECTIVELY, THE “MATERIALS”). THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITH ALL DEFECTS. ATG EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED OPERATION AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, ATG MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT (i) THE MATERIALS WILL MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF SUBSCRIBER, (ii) THE MATERIALS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (iii) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE MATERIALS WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, OR (iv) ANY ERRORS IN THE MATERIALS WILL BE CORRECTED. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR COMMUNICATIONS GIVEN BY MCGRAW HILL, ITS EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS WILL INCREASE THE SCOPE OF THE ABOVE WARRANTY OR CREATE ANY NEW OR ADDITIONAL WARRANTIES. To the extent that ATG may not as a matter of applicable law disclaim an implied warranty, the scope and duration of such warranty will be the minimum permitted under such law.
- LIABILITY.IN NO EVENT SHALL EITHER PARTY BE LIABLE TO THE OTHER PARTY (OR TO ANY OTHER PERSON CLAIMING RIGHTS DERIVED FROM SUCH PARTY’S RIGHTS) FOR CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST TIME, LOST MONEY, LOST DATA, LOST PROFITS OR GOOD WILL, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT SUCH DAMAGES ARE FORESEEN OR UNFORESEEN WITH RESPECT TO ANY USE OF THE MATERIALS OR OTHERWISE ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE AND IN NO EVENT SHALL THE LIABILITY OF ATG OR ITS LICENSORS FOR WHATEVER CAUSE EXCEED THE FEES PAID BY YOU IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE MATERIALS EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. To the extent the foregoing exclusion of liability is not permitted under applicable law, ATG’s liability in such case will be limited to the greatest extent permitted by law.
- INDEMNIFICATION.ATG shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless Subscriber from and against any and all liabilities, losses, damages, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, related to or arising out of any claim by a third party that the technology platform underlying the Solution infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of such third party. To the extent permitted by law, Subscriber shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless ATG and its parent, affiliates, successors and assigns and their respective officers, employees and agents from and against any and all liabilities, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, related to or arising out of use of the Solution by Subscriber, except to the extent that such claim is subject to indemnification by ATG hereunder.
- MISCELLANEOUS.The Agreement contains the entire understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior agreements and commitments with respect thereto; provided, however, that if Subscriber has entered into a separate written agreement with ATG regarding the subject matter hereof, that agreement will supersede this Agreement to the extent of any conflict. There are no other oral or written understandings, terms or conditions with respect to the subject matter of the Agreement, and neither party has relied upon any representation, express or implied, not contained in the Agreement. The rights and remedies of the parties are cumulative and not alternative. No waiver of any rights is to be charged against any party unless such waiver is in writing signed by an authorized representative of the party so charged. Neither the failure nor any delay by any party in exercising any right, power, or privilege under the Agreement will operate as a waiver of such right, power, or privilege, and no single or partial exercise of any such right, power, or privilege will preclude any other or further exercise of such right, power, or privilege or the exercise of any other right, power, or privilege. No modification of or amendment to the Agreement will be effective unless in writing signed by authorized representatives of both parties. If any provision of the Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, the other provisions of the Agreement will remain in full force and effect, and, if legally permitted, such offending provision will be replaced with an enforceable provision that as nearly as possible effects the parties’ intent. Subscriber may not assign or otherwise transfer any of its rights or obligations under the Agreement without the prior written consent of ATG, which consent ATG may grant or withhold in its sole and absolute discretion. Subject to the foregoing, the Agreement will be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their permitted successors and assigns. Any purported or attempted assignment or other transfer or delegation in violation of this Section shall be null and void.